"Tops and Bottoms" is a fantasy text. Fantasy storys include elements that are impossible. For example, the athr rote "I'm hungry," Bear said.
This author of this three-sentence text response did several things:
- Made a claim: Determined the genre of the text.
- Described the genre.
- Cited evidence from the text to support the claim.
The student showed me:
- That he understands the genre of fantasy.
- That he can apply his knowledge of genre to a text.
- What he applies regarding grammar and word knowledge.
- That he can reference an anchor chart ("...include elements that are impossible").
- That he can cite evidence from a text.
Now, we're ready to apply this skill at a deeper level! Oh-ho!
Check out this anchor chart from Jennifer Hartley's 5th-Grade class: